David Rothenberg, a composer and
jazz clarinetist, records animal sounds especially those of whales. As he says
himself – he has not found more complex singing than that of whales. In an New
York Times interview he explains that whales speak for themselves, in a world
between human and whale. Once you realize that, it challenges your
understanding about what music actually is and you can never completely come
out again. He also collaborated with Pauline Oliveros and her approach of deep
listening which I find very interesting. They both push the borders of the
understanding of music. Since humpback songs seem not only melancholic but also
electronic, Rothenberg worked together with electronic musicians as well. He
intends to blend very different cultures pushing our sense of music. Reading
about David Rothenberg’s approach regarding whale music made me learn a lot
about whales. When I listened to “The Whale Song” it seemed melancholic to me,
accompanied by a feeling of darkness. The noises of the whale(s) appeared sad
and desperate to me. Rothenberg joined these sounds, at some point his music
overlapped the animal sound. I felt like I could hear the sea, the sound of the
waves. The song continued to be peaceful, suddenly the ambiance changed. The
melody was strident, the animal sound got very loud. Then, again, the song was
calm, the whale(s) seemed far away. At the end, the whale(s) disappeared, I
thought of it being a farewell.
After diving into Rothenberg’s
approach, I realized that humpback songs appear melancholic but there is more
to their music than just that emotion. There are grunts, squeaks, beats, cool
noises being more electronic than melodic. Actually, humans and whales share a
capacity to express so-called complex emotions, whales three times as much as
human beings. Consequently, these animal sounds are not only melancholic but
they need close listening. Humpback’s vocalizations are specifically aesthetic
expressions expressing feelings through music. Since usual recordings of whales
tend to be alienating, Rothenberg aims to reduce ocean sounds to a minimum in
order to express intimacy.
I find Rothenberg’s approach very
interesting. At first, I could not figure out his intention when listening to
his recorded pieces. It is probably best experienced in nature. Yet, after
having read about whales and their sounds shaping their feelings, I was
fascinated by the idea that whales might intentionally express their emotions
in sounds. Rothenberg creates awareness for animal sounds and he brings us
closer to other singing animals. He clearly does challenge our understanding of
music and what we tend to interpret into a certain frequency of sounds.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.