Afrofuturism – Sun Ra

 

Sun Ra is claimed to be the pioneer of Afrofuturism. His style is infatuated with ancient Egypt, outer space and New Age mysticism. His music is considered a mix of bop, free jazz and proto-electronic music. Furthermore, his songs have unconventional structures. Sun Ra is also known as Sonny, Le Sony’r Ra, the Ambassador to the Emperor of the Omniverse. Originally, he was born with the name Herman Poole Blount. He says about himself that he is not from Earth but from Saturn and he wants people to “join the Ra legion”. I watched some interviews with Sun Ra in which he rejects to be a leader figure. According to him, he does not have a mission. There is also no coherent message in his music. Still, he seems to represent his own world view: he wants to preach peace and equation. His experimental music intends to “build a bridge to walk across the board”. Consequently, his style is more psychic and spiritual. He refers to that as “spirit sound”. I like Sun Ra’s idea of music getting people out of space, into another world. Since it seems like he is talking from outer space, other musicians thought it was too far for people but Sun Ra managed to spread his music nevertheless. Instead of expressing people’s feelings he restores them. Yet, he does not intend to restore people’s minds. He challenges our understanding of music and I think he manages to build bridges along with it.

In one of his interviews he claims to be an angel which seemed very abstract to me. By saying that he refers to his understanding of humanity: he must be an angel since men always fail in changing the world, they are too limited. They do not have the right to better the world like angels do. That is why he is an angel because he can change the world and make it a better place. I think it makes sense in a way and his mission to make the world a better place seems nice. Yet, I am confused by his words. On the one hand he refuses to be a leader, on the other hand he makes himself one when making himself an angel occurring in him outstanding everyone else.

I listened to “Return on the OVC”, “Calling Planet Earth” and I saw a short clip from his movie “Space is the Place”. I very much enjoy his style, especially the OVC which is an instrument creating electronic finger-painting. Melodies and words are expressed with the help of lights, colors and close-up of nature. His music is experimental, outer space and it appeared futuristic to me. I feel like the images express the presence of a higher power surrounding us. The echoes, electronic melodies and repetitions transport you into another space.

Regarding Sun Ra’s point of views, I liked his opinion concerning not to take life too seriously which he uttered in a talk. He explained that life actually is ridiculous which makes every little thing appear ridiculous. So all you need is a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.