I watched the three short audio
clips of Adam’s “Place”, a permanent sound-and-light installation at the Museum
of the North in Fairbanks, Alaska. It gave me an idea of Adam’s concept, yet I
think you have to be there in order to experience it. The first one, “Revealing
the Aurora Bells”, starts of being intense, strident and insistent. Then, the
sound ends being more melodic and quieter. The second one, “Summer Solstice with
Earthquake”, reveals an earthquake event. In real life, the low frequency
earthquake sounds can barely be heard but Adams managed to make people feel and
hear the phenomenon in “The Place”. The audio is characterized by a consistent
tone throughout, eventually several tones are added to it. “Summer Solstice 24
hours” illustrates 24 hours of change in about 30 seconds. The color fields are
fascinating and the whole shown process seems unreal to me. Besides the sounds,
the spectacle itself is shown on screen in all clips. I find the clips
impressing and they do indeed make you feel closer to nature since you can
actively watch a process happening. Yet, it feels unreal. I think that besides
connecting you yourself to nature, it might also connect you to your
surrounding and the people experiencing it with you. The title “The Place Where
You Go to Listen” implies not only to listen to the surroundings, I suppose it
also inspires to listen inside you. The sounds influence you to stand still for
a moment, reflect and pause your thoughts.
I also like Adam’s idea of
transcendence so that “The Place” intends to draw a connection between you and
the deep within the earth. He gave nature a voice leading to people
experiencing a journey through the physical, cultural and spiritual landscapes
of the Arctic. A computer program translates real-time data streams from
geophysical events into sound and color signals. Consequently, Adam’s
installation seems like an artistic mirror that raises awareness of the natural
world. It does not only mirror nature, it reveals unheard vibrations such as in
the “Summer Solstices”. The electronic sounds seem natural since geophysical
data was used as material for music. Furthermore, the music gives messages from
the world to the audience. This realization is also referred to as “sonic
geography” indicating that a place is understood as music and music as place. Adam’s
seeks to not only represent the environment but transform it. That is why he
combines science with art: he uses science to examine the way things are and
art to show how they could be like.
Personally, I would like to
experience Adam’s installation in real life. I think his “Place” is very
important since it deepens our understanding of nature. It creates awareness
which is much needed in the age of digitalization. We tend to be online instead
of going outside into nature. Adam’s make sure to demonstrate the need of
nature.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.