When listening to “D|P 3” by William Basinski I had to main associations.
The first one was looking at a Nepalese mountain range from afar. I sit on top of a glider that flies towards a monastery that lies on top of one of the mountains. The sun is rising behind the mountains as we get closer and we glance upon this dreamy mountain range that is dipped in red and orange colours and interrupted by the white snow on top of the mountains peeking into the sky.
The glider loses in height and is steering towards the monastery, which is composed of several buildings that my eyes actually start to see just now. The pilot takes a turn, and we try to land at the foot of the hills that carry the buildings of the monastery. We get out of the glider and immediately start our short walk into the direction of the monastery. We step up the long stairs and reach a huge platform that is coloured by the light of the rising sun. Monks welcome us, blending in perfectly by wearing orange and red robes. We all take a look around the monastery and its temples and are astonished by the colours, the warmth of the air and the silence.
The second association I immediately had when listening was also flying, but over a completely different landscape.
In contrast to my first association, this time I was flying over a postapocalyptic landscape. The views I could experience where everything but peaceful and calming but rather devastating and sad.
I am on a helicopter with a few others who I barely know. We all agreed to go on a mission to fly past all destroyed areas in order to find out if there are any survivors left.
We have been flying for some hours and almost agreed on turning around and leaving this hopeless place that an apocalypse has left its mark on. We are sure that there is nothing to be found here except for destroyed lives.
But then we see about five people in the distance, strolling around hopelessly, not sure what they are actually looking for but also unable to stay where they are. We approach them cautiously. The finding of just a few last survivors of this final catastrophe turns the devastating emotion at the beginning of the journey into hope. We ask them to take their belongings with them and to board the helicopter. They all agree and sit down on their seats in silence. Maybe they also feel hope, maybe anger, maybe sadness. One could not tell just by looking at their faces.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.