John Oswald – “Dab” – A Train Breaking Down

 

What John Oswald did is implied in the title. He turned the song “Bad” by Michael Jackson completely upside down, same with the title of Oswalds composition. 

As soon as the song starts out, I got the feeling of sitting in an old train that makes a loud, repetitive sound as it drives towards its goal. I imagined sitting in the mentioned train, listening to music on my headphones, as then, suddenly, the rhythm of the music on my headphones and the rhythm of the sounds of the train intertwine. But instead of harmonically blending in, the interrupt each other and create a big knot within my head. A feeling of restlessness settles in. I stare out of the window, trying to focus while the headphone sounds take over and are interrupted by the sounds of the train again.          
Suddenly, the horror in my head gets accompanied by the feeling that the train is not driving properly anymore. The sounds of the train get more irregular every second and the train stutters, shaking every sitting person’s head and body. People around me try to cling to their seats and hold on to tables and suitcases. The train drive hits the breaks, then the train wins in speed again. Unsure looks between passengers are exchanged. 
To uphold a certain calmness, I decide to keep my headphones on. But instead of calmness, the mixing of the sounds and the rattling of the machines seem to drive me crazy, and I start to panic, too. Suddenly, smoke starts to arise from the train or from the tracks. Nobody is sure where its coming from, which creates even more panic around the compartment that I am in. 
I have ripped my headphones out of my ears and put it on the small table in front of me, still trying to focus. Some more sounds have added to the mix: It is not only my music still playing, as I have not yet been able to get out my phone to mute it. There is also the sound of the smoke evaporating, the machine of the train, the people talking hysterically to each other, packing up their stuff, parents pacing between their children, trying to calm them. The rattling sounds of the train also add to the mix. 
I feel overwhelmed, staring at the person in front of me not knowing what to do. Then, it all of a sudden just stops. The sounds blend in with each other, forming one sound that I could not possible define (4:40). I seem to zone out and as the several sounds form into one, the image in front of my eyes also does.       
I do not recognize anything anymore except for a calming feeling that is influenced by that one sound. My sight turns clearer again and I notice that the train comes to a stop. I also recognize how the people around me are breathing more easily again and I join in. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.