John
Luther Adams’ “Become Ocean” is a composition that could play as the soundtrack
of a movie and I am certain that this movie should be about a deep dive into
the ocean. The composition and of course the orchestra did a great job at
capturing the ever-flowing motion of the ocean.
The
beginning caught me in a mysterious setting. I did not feel like swimming in
the ocean or even “becoming” the ocean, but I was curious about what would
happen next after this exposition. The first 6 minutes stayed as calm and
dragged me into the intended setting: I felt like underwater, but not just in
some comfortable water as the Caribbean Sea, it was dark, gloomy and cold. The
music raised images of looking down into an endless abyss and then up to witness
single rays of sunlight piercing through the water and then getting blurred by
the waving surface.
The
first rise in volume happened at about 6:25 and it appeared sudden at first
because the music played so slow the whole time. I had to listen to it a second
time to understand how long this part had been build up. Nevertheless, the
music conveyed a feeling that is hard to describe in words: It felt like being exposed
to a devastating force, dragged and pushed through the darkness without even
knowing what moves me. The voice of the ocean was roaring into my ears. I felt
relieved as soon as this part was over and the relaxing but mysterious tunes
took over again. My disturbed image of slow waves and weightlessness was
restored, but a slight feeling of distress was left.
I
think I have rarely come closer to the feeling of experiencing something
sublime as I did while listening to “Become Ocean”. My imagination went
absolutely wild when the music became louder and hectic. The contrast of these
moments to the ones when no sound was perceivable presented a spectrum of
feelings from absolute tranquility to fear. I am glad that Adams chose to
present a feeling of becoming the ocean and not getting eaten by the ocean;
this would have been a very stressful experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.