Alvin
Lucier’s piece “I am sitting in a room” is a constant playback of a recording
back into a room in which he re-records it. He created a never-ending loop of
recording and playing back the same original text, but each time it gets looped
the audio becomes less clear as the listener can hear more of the audible
feedback from the recording machine.
In the beginning the listener can just hear
the text of Lucier's “I am sitting in a room” but as the loop continues and
plays back again and again the audio changes into a loop of feedback sounds
that can be heard in the room. So, from a comforting voice reading the text out
loud it changes to almost deafening feedback of the recording machine in which
you cannot understand any of the original texts anymore. Lucier claims, that
this way the listener will be able to hear the frequencies of the room, which
are usually not audible to the human ear as it tends to be too loud around us.
One could argue that the same experiment with the same recording set in a
different room, will in fact produce a different piece “in the end” but it is
doubtful that one really only hears the frequencies of the room or rather
listens to a lot of feedback from the recording.
In the
session at university, I was highly doubtful that anyone would stand to listen
to the feedback loop for more than a few seconds as it definitely hurt my ears
but now at home I listened to the version on YouTube which goes on for a full
45 minutes and figured out that at least for my ears it becomes more soothing
to listen to as the time goes on. Interestingly enough it reaches a climax of
what I personally think is the worst of the feedback that microphones can
produce and then turns into a much more harmonious play of musical notes in the
end. I did not expect that. It is a nice way showing how subjective listening
to a piece can be, as I am sure not everyone struggled with it as much as I
did.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.