Lee “Scratch” Perry –
“The Future is Black”
I
did not know in advance what Afrofuturism was and what the term meant in
general. However, it was even more interesting when I did some research about
this movement. Afrofuturism is an African American movement that incorporates
both cultural and historical aspects but is accompanied by future-oriented
science fiction themes. I found the idea of Afrofuturism very awakening, especially
in terms of the unjust that African Americans had to experience in history. Moreover,
I could emphasize with the basic idea that this movement represents also a kind
of escape. What I mean by that is that if my ancestors and I had gone through
the same hell as African Americans were forced to go through I would have probably
not wanted to identify with the human race as well, but rather with “aliens”. The
positively characterized future perspective of Afrofuturism should also be
mentioned. Afrofuturism is the exact opposite of what happened to African
Americans in the past. The future appears more positive, more future-oriented,
and in a way also superior. What I found interesting about Afrofuturistic music
is that elements of the past are combined with elements of the “future” and
thus it seems that two different rhythms can be heard out. What I also liked
about the Afrofuturistic concept is that it represents a kind of reminder for
the African American community to honor their origins, namely Africa.
Additionally, I believe that the whole idea of Afrofuturism is also a kind of
statement with the message: “The Future is Black”. I think this movement and
statement are very desirable, especially if we look at the inhumane past that
African Americans were forced to face.
Lee “Scratch” Perry was a Jamaican music producer. He
is known for his reggae and dub music and has won many prizes for his pieces. He
has named his studio where he produced music, “The (Black) Ark”. In this studio
he did not use the latest technology or anything similar. Owing to his own
studio, he was able to produce according to his own rules which meant that no
one could prescribe him anything. This way, he was able to unfold artistically.
What immediately struck me in the “Dope P-Funk Mothership Landin” video was the
futuristic clothing style of Perry and the remaining band members. I
particularly noticed the song´s futuristic highlights towards the end, when the
well-known reggae was mixed with sound effects into something which was both
familiar and unfamiliar. Thus, I would say that the concept of Afrofuturism was
“fulfilled”. I particularly also enjoyed listening to “Rainy Night Dub”. To be
more precise, what I liked most was the mixing of many different musical
directions. It seemed to me that jazz was mixed with reggae with a touch of
electronic sounds. Even though many musical genres were mixed in this song it
did not sound like a total mishmash; on the contrary, it sounded rather harmonious.
Lee Perry´s “The Upsetters – Grumblin Dub” stood out in particular because of
the futuristic voice that could be heard in the background at certain
intervals. Additionally, I could hear out reggae elements, but as far as I
could tell no jazz elements. What I also found very impressive was that Perry
used sounds from everyday life and applied them in his music. This simple but
at the same time complex way of making music from everyday objects has its own
aesthetic. In this way, he was also able to produce “sounds” that were typical
of his mother country and which more importantly represented it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.