D|P 3 by William Basinski – Hypnosis

 

The meditative, melancholic style that William Basinski expresses in DP/3, befell me like a slowly converging hypnosis. I was not immediately fascinated by this piece, but eventually I found myself closing my eyes, and placidly listened to the appeasing melody that clouded my minds.

What is most fascinating about this melodic piece, in my opinion, is its ambiguity. On the one hand, the sound of the audible wind instrument functions as a wake-up call that pulls you out of reality. I did not feel any particular emotion at first, but I experienced the urge to escape everyday life, and to explore the world. I portrayed myself at a beach, ready to sail away on a boat, dive into the ocean and experience life’s beauty. Accompanied by the feeling of freedom, I view endless paths with unlimited opportunities to explore. Optimism is my companion, and I am ready to leave. I think about new opportunities, changes for the better, and satisfaction. “Seize the day” is what comes to my mind, and I forget all the trouble that my everyday life causes. I want to let loose of responsibilities and consequences. I picture happiness.

On the other hand, inevitably, the exact opposite happens. The music reminds me that life is evanescent and I am trapped in a cage of repeating habits. Opportunities pass by and I am questioning decisions I made in life. Although chances in front of me might be tempting, I know I cannot escape all my responsibilities. I realize there are borders I simply cannot overcome, which is frustrating. Suddenly, I think of all the nice things I have in life, like family, friends, and safety. I realize I could not simply disappear and leave them behind. Also, I question whether I have been the best person I could have been. I basically start to think about everything in life, and the melody managed to capture me.

I listened for the entire duration of the song, closed my eyes, and only typed a few words meanwhile. I accepted to let emotions flow in, and my thoughts were clear as day. Although some negative feelings were associated as well, most of the feelings I perceived were positive. I never believed I would actually sink into thoughts and emotions that deep, but the experience was definitely enriching.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.