D|P 3 by William Basinski – Between Sorrow and Solace

At the attempt to convert an analog tape recording to a digital format, the digital preservation also involved the audible destruction of the tape which can be listened to in the digitalized end result “D|P 3”. With this digitalization process, Basinski intended to save his long-forgotten work from decay but unintentionally induced the disintegration of the tapes, and the emerging sounds and music have been eternalized in his album series The Disintegration Loops.

 

I find “D|P 3” to be deeply moving and I, for some reason, associate it with the types of emotions that can be felt but not named. This song triggers a profound emotion in me that is a fusion of sadness and fondness. I am thinking of a reunion with a person who I was very close to at one point in my life but have not seen for a long time. I am happy and glad to meet them again, but there is also the desolate certainty that nothing will be what it once was because a lot of time has elapsed and the person I now see in front of me is not the same person as I remember them. The person appears familiar and strange at the same time, and it is impossible to reverse the fact that we had grown apart. My memory’s euphoria comes into conflict with the dysphoria of the present realization.

 

While searching for a term for this emotion, I encountered “Saudade”, the Portuguese expression for a feeling that comes closest to what I am trying to describe. Saudade is the melancholic and nostalgic remembrance of and longing for something or someone that remains in the past and can never be returned to. It is a feeling that is both delightful and painful, the presence of absence.

 

“D|P 3” sounds beautiful and tragic. It exudes peace and its healing properties can guide to calmness and serenity. The music serves to sublimate experiences and feelings and expresses something that cannot be communicated with words. The unique melodies of the archived deterioration of old analog recordings inspire contemplation and inward reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.