When I first listened to Reich’s composition, I found
the sounds disturbing and irritating. A few minutes later, I felt the rhythm of
the phrase “It’s gonna rain” and the vibes going along with it. The ellipse “only
rain” co-occurred with “It’s gonna rain” which again led to a hectic and
nervous ambiance. I was impressed by in how many ways one phrase can be put
into sounds. The echoing made the listening experience more intense. I think
that this song is best listened to when not sitting in a room in front of your
laptop like I did, but rather stand on your feet and act it out. Sitting only lessens
the energy which the song carries along. Instead, you should be able to move to
the sounds so that you get more access to it. After a while “only rains” gets
shortened to “rain” and “It’s gonna rain” can be only heard in the background.
Yet, the sounds switch again “It’s gonna rain” becoming more dominant. I also
noticed a pause between “It’s gonna” and “rain” emphasizing what is going to
happen. The last phrase of the eight minute composition dramatizes the
circumstances: “It’s gonna rain after all.”
Reich’s style in this minimalist composition is
expressed by the intense voice, the background noises and the two recordings
felling out of sync. Consequently, one tape falls ahead or behind the other.
Meanwhile Reich admitted that the phase shifting happened accidentally, I
thought it was on purpose since its effect strengthens the phrase “It’s gonna
rain”. This phrase signifies the first part while sections of it represent the
second part. Reich recorded the voice of a preacher expressing the story of
Noah, the end of the world. When manipulating the recording Reich introduced a
new way of composing. Later, he applied the style on live musicians which led
to his tape pieces becoming source material for minimalism.
Actually, I figured that the phrase “It’s gonna rain”
does not refer to the weather. Still, I did not interpret it as signifying the
end of the world. Taking the circumstances into consideration, a preacher
citing and in a way singing those words, the reference to Noah seems reasonable.
Yet, it seems impossible to me linking the composition to the Cuban missile
crisis in 1962. After some research on the historical background, I experienced
the song in a different way. The pulsating, canon-like tape announces a
happening. The tapes, spliced together and then again separated, aggressively
express emotions.
All in all, I find Reich’s composition impressing, it
makes me feel something and I like the changing rhythm and (background) sounds.
Nevertheless, the message remains too abstract to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.