When I compare Pauline’s “Lear” to Lucier and Monk, I can say it is quite different in terms of sounds and the first impression it leaves. How? Oliveros tried to transmit her ideas and feelings through the sounds she composed, letting the audience recognize it in a way they experience it at the moment. As she grew up in the world of music and later on it became a big part of her life, she dedicated her life in order to create something it will be deeply recognized.
I suppose everybody gets a different impression while listening to “Lear”, however, I imagine myself in a completely separate place, something like an abandoned old house with a lot of rooms, full of mysterious things. As I walk inside, the music is calm, the rooms are full of furniture covered with white sheets, then I hear the sounds getting louder, some instruments are included as well. Fear, mystery, dark, enigma make me peculiar, nonetheless, they give me a sense of calmness and peace which also provide some sort of security in a way. The intensity of the sounds is more or less at the same level, from still to a bit louder, whereas I have the impression the higher intensity sounds come from the far, maybe the music is outside or hidden somewhere in the room. I follow the noise which I started liking and have a feeling I cannot keep up without it. I stayed there, where suddenly from a dark place it becomes a place of serenity.
I genuinely enjoyed listening to the piece, the gothic elements it includes made my imagination flourish as well as gave me a moment for myself to think. Pauline Oliveros managed to propose a deep feeling to listeners who listen “deeply”, to provide them a complex yet unique style where they can merge the sounds and create their own notion. She succeeded in creating an innovative work of art including so many different elements, thus allowing the audience to perceive the sounds on their own.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.