Meredith Monk- Gotham Lullaby – When words aren’t necessary
I enjoyed listening to Meredith Monk’s song “Gotham Lullaby”, because it was the closest piece of art to what I associate with today’s music (so far). The setting of the stage was kept quite simple, because all Monk used was a piano and a microphone. The presence of a microphone made me assume that some sort of singing would be incorporated within the song, which I was definitely looking forward to.
The song starts off with something similar to an introduction (the first 40 seconds played on the piano). I would describe this sequence as minimalist, because the same four notes are repeated over and over again in the same rhythm with only minor changes in the tone pitch. My expectations of an actual lullaby were only partly approved, because I expected really calm, serene singing that was quiet enough to make a baby fall asleep. Further, I expected the lyrics to include meaningful content that helps to visualize a picture while falling asleep. For this reason, I was surprised that I could not understand any word she sang.
However, until 1:45, the ever-repeating pattern of both the notes and her vocals do actually feel quite calming to me. It reminds me a bit of Hawaiian-like singing, and I visualized myself at a beach of Hawaii, looking at the beautiful, untouched nature. Despite the absence of words, Monk’s piece does evoke a picture in my head regardless. I do not know if I would actually fall asleep if this sequence would repeat for a longer period of time, but I would definitely feel relaxed and comfortable. This is because her voice, the notes played on the piano, and her dreamy singing fit together very well in my opinion.
After 1:45, she incorporated some really high, scratchy vocals that, in my opinion, disturbed the harmony within the song. I remember that my facial expression even reacted to those notes, because I perceived them as unpleasant and even disrupting. Due to the fact that especially the buzzing, drawn-out vocals support the harmony of this song very well, I believe the use of those high, abrupt, scratchy notes are counterproductive - especially for the purpose of a lullaby.
Retrospectively speaking, it did not disturb me that the song had no words incorporated, or that the notes included were kept very minimalist. In fact, the few notes played on the piano do facilitate the impact of her voice very well. I even felt somehow connected to the words she sang despite not understanding a single word. Monk proved that the potential of one’s voice outreaches most people’s imagination, and I enjoyed listening to her piece of art.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.