The soundscape conceptualized by Cage appears minimalistic and yet complex.
If I were to describe John Cage´s composition with three simple words, I
would most likely choose to use gloomy, orchestral, and unearthly. The
last-named adjective proposes numerous questions, first and foremost what
exactly distinguishes the earthly from the unearthly. What I aim to express in
the use of the word is probably the vague but dominant impression of a familiar
distance towards the sounds perceived. Whilst the sounds are eluding themselves
from classification, they trigger memories and associations that seem to appear
in a non-coherent manner. Although the enduring fluid sounds create a
comfortable space to linger in, their timbre appears to be more distressing
than comforting. As a listener I find my courtesy captivated. The aimless
wandering in which my mind seeks to escape is obstructed as the sounds I listen
to constantly change in tone and character. The sounds take me on a journey
through time and space, introducing me to familiar as well as unfamiliar
soundscapes without rest. Due to the piece´s length the journey like character
is further emphasized and a somehow transcendental experience promoted. Besides
the listening experience is of an almost mystical kind that sparks images of an
unknown past, creating an almost comfortable sense of alienation. Closing my
eyes, I feel invited to float above the ground into a world of imagination and
(un-) familiar memory as Cage´s composition visually hints at and reminds me of
traditional landscape painting and spacy Sci-Fi imagery (take a city scape from
Metropolis or Blade Runner for example) at the same time. Both associations - but
especially the image of a landscape - are strongly shaped and triggered through
the concept of silence and the idea of absence that comes along with it. If I
close my eyes, I can´t help but visualize open, deserted fields or streets that imply a surprising capaciousness suggesting emptiness and opportunity. The
impression is further emphasized through the disability to completely grasp and
classify a certain sound or an associated instrument or source of noise as it
is an ever-changing subject of transformation. In consequence, Cage´s piece
evokes a certain uneasiness from time-to-time causing an atmosphere of diffuse
tension that is never quite released.
Apart from that, Cage´s recordings are eluding themselves from any melodic or recurringly rhythmic schemes, as they are found in later popularized ambient music by artist such as Brain Eno (e.g. Apollo from 1983), later Aphex Twin (e.g. Selected Ambient Works Volume II from 1994), or - to name a more recent release - GAS with “Der Lange Marsch” (2021).
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.