Artistic silence - 4’33” by John Cage

When I was first about to experience 4’33”  in class, I pictured numerous scenes in my mind and prepared for dazzling rhythms. However, I was initially perplexed at the length of the preparation, even though the orchestra seemed well-prepared. I began wondering when the piece would eventually start and the first sound would manifest, only for the mystery to be solved when the audience started to applaud. Finally, I realized that the piece was already officially finished; the silence was the message. I was genuinely amazed by this concept and kept pondering what meaning Cage intended to deliver to the audience through this unconventional musical piece.

Carrying this question, I rewatched the video several times, and each time, the feeling I got from it wasn’t identical. Instead, I was reminded of an ancient experience, occasionally hearing musical sounds that I’d never heard before or self-composed rhythms with a guitar. I wandered on my journey of imagination, yet those slight noises from the stage and audience simultaneously reminded me of reality. I even imagined attending the performance myself, sitting in the audience, watching the performer turn the page, desperately holding back a cough to maintain the silence. At some point, I no longer see myself as some ordinary listener but a music creator, the silence giving way to boundless imagination. Just like the host said at the beginning, “everyone experiences the piece in a different way because we all hear things in a different way.”

Therefore, I seem to have grasped the main concept of Cage’s intention composing this unparalleled work. Music is subjective. While there is difficulty in combining all the relevant musical elements into one piece, here is the opposite. Cage’s work demands no sounds, no instrument, nothing at all. In this way, every listener creates unique compositions involving their preferred rhythm and favorite instruments using their own experiences. The occasional noises are another method of inspiration, or they can ground you; you are the one who is in charge of everything. Overall, 4’33” endows us with a novel interpretation of music, one which I sincerely enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.