Angel-like “Language”
I
really enjoyed watching the video about Meredith Monk (20.11.1942 - ) and her
music and art. Right at the beginning of the video, I noticed that Monk has a
very petite stature, thus, I would not have thought that she has both an
angelic and at the same time also a very powerful voice. In the video, she
explained that she creates her art in an apartment in New York and lives there
at the same time. When I saw the bed in the middle of the studio I was quite
intrigued as her studio and at the same time living space looked like that of a
brilliant professor. In general, Monk left an endearing impression on me, which
made me want to hear her music even more. In her piece “16 Millimeter Earrings”
she used her voice like a musical instrument without actually using any
language at all which was fascinating to hear. Even if many of the sounds were
sometimes strange, they reminded me of the so-called “throat singing” of the
Inuk which I once listened to in school. I found it really interesting to hear
what our human voice is capable of. It does not always have to be incredibly
high tones like Mariah Carey´s, but also those that make you doubt that certain
tones come from a human being. While watching Monk perform it reminded me
somehow of Michael Winslow from Police
Academy. While I was watching Winslow perform I was often not even sure
whether the noises that he made were real or for example from a real car; but
of course, it was real, he always used his own voice.
Now back to Monk: I really liked the following
sentence that she mentioned in the video: “Art can melt walls, not create
them”. I think this point of view is a very positive and hopeful one. Art and
especially music bring people closer to one another and dissolve barriers. It
does not even matter which country the music comes from (not even a specific
language has to be used). However, what is important is that it has to touch
the heart and thus pave the way to a more tolerant world. Monk also stated in
the video that she starts her music without judgments and that she just lets
herself be carried away while creating a new piece. Each new piece is a world
for her that was created by her. I found this viewpoint very fascinating.
Important to mention here is also the example of the Bulgarian folk singers that
was shown where I, again, realized that we do not really need instruments to
create music, but that our voice is an instrument in itself. However, in
“Gotham Lullaby” Monk uses an instrument, namely, the piano. At first, I really
enjoyed listening to the piece. It was a very hopeful and soothing sound while
she used her voice without actually using language. Moreover, she used her
voice to hum which I found relaxing at the beginning but in the middle of the
piece, the sounds changed and were too loud and high-pitched which I did not
enjoy. However, all in all, I really liked Monk´s “Gotham Lullaby” which reminded
me of something angelic.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.