Alvin Lucier - I Am Sitting in a Room

“I Am Sitting in a Room” is probably one of the most impressive pieces I’ve taken away from this class. Not resembling a standard musical composition composed from mainstream musical elements such as melody and rhythm, this unique piece provides an alternative and investigates a different interpretation of sound pieces. Honestly, I underwent several swings of emotions during the process of listening. As I had very little exposure to this artful type of music previously, I was unaware of the message he attempted to deliver at first. I only perceived the repeating words he narrated and occasionally with a stutter and wondered when the repetition would terminate. Until Lucier’s speaking voice gradually became unintelligible and disappeared, leaving only the resonant sounds of the room, I realised that the actual art was about to begin. 

So far, this sound composition raises several questions regarding its comprehension. Why did these speaking texts emerge? What is this experiment’s intended result? What does the stutter suggest? I’ve subsequently investigated my doubts on the matter. It turns out that this piece is designed to demonstrate the original process of people producing and learning sounds. The narration itself is not only instruction for the listener but also the principal object of this musical experiment. At first, I thought the monologue was a pre-music speech introducing his creative process. However, the speaking voice didn’t stop but instead iterated repeatedly. Despite the same content, the speech was getting distant, yet the background noise, or resonant frequencies, were getting clearer. I became slightly impatient when the recording kept playing back. 


Nonetheless, as his voice grew weak and the resonant frequencies fully dominated the room, it piqued my interest again, even if the acoustics sounded sharp. I paid particular attention to the change of sound of the room and started to ponder the implications. As an influential experimental composer, Lucier masterly utilises the acoustic resonance of physical architectures to unveil the phenomena of natural frequencies. In addition, Lucier had an extreme stutter at quite a young age and chose to incorporate this feature as a part of sound manifestation. He didn’t conceal his stutter during the monologue, which added to the vivid nature of the piece. This combination of physics and music is impressive, and I now better appreciate the diversity and various possibilities of music. Music can be touching, thought-provoking, and yet still scientific. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.