An interesting experience
I
personally found John Cage´s “4´33” very interesting because of his general and
unique idea. However, if I had not known beforehand that the piece consists of
literally no music I would have been more than astonished while listening to it
for the first time. I also found it interesting that he believed that there was
no such thing as silence. I personally agree with this point of view. As long
as life exists, sound also exists as Cage believed. If we analyze this way of
thinking further, we can recognize a pattern. This pattern shows that sound has
always existed and, in a way, that also music has always existed. This also
applies, for example, to the trees that “make” noises due to the wind. Not only
the wind and nature are “composers”, but also humans and our bodies in general.
Let us take as an example the empty and soundproofed room in which Cage was
located. Even then he heard some kind of music, namely that of his own nervous
system. Thus, I do agree that there is no such thing as silence in life. This
fact also shows that Cages “4´33” can and should be called music or to be more
precise composition. However, this time, the people in the concert hall were
the composers as they determined the music by their sole being. Another point I
found interesting was that each time Cage´s “4´33” is performed it will sound
different since other people listen to the piece and reluctantly make noises
that differ from the ones of the previous people in the concert hall. However,
what interested me also was what the people thought who had no premonition
about what was about to happen. Perhaps some thought that the instruments were
defective or that there was some sort of disagreement between the conductor and
the musicians or something similar. Even if Cage´s piece is a unique piece of
music, I would not voluntarily listen to it on Spotify if it existed there. It
does not match my genre, but I still found it beneficial to (literally) have
heard about it. If I had witnessed Cage´s “4´33”, I would have looked pretty
confused, as I had never known such a concept before. This whole concept of “silence”
also shows that we are actually never completely alone in this world let alone
universe. Signals and waves can be perceived both in the deepest depths of the
world´s oceans and from space.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.